10 Fun Hummingbird Facts
- More than 330 species of Hummingbirds live in North and South America.
- Hummingbirds beat their wings at an amazing speed of 80 times per second! They don’t flap their wings, they rotate them in a figure 8!
- Hummingbirds have a heart rate of 1,260 beats per minute and breaths of 250 times per minute!
- Some Hummingbirds make nonstop flights across the Gulf of Mexico in spring and autumn, consuming 10 times per gram of muscle tissue than the most elite human athletes and marathoners!
5. Hummingbirds eat every 15 minutes! On an average day, a hummingbird will consume double its body weight!
6. A Hummingbird’s metabolism is about a 100 times faster than an elephant’s!
7. A Hummingbird weighs less than a nickel, on average.
8. Female Hummingbirds lay only two eggs.
9. A Hummingbird’s heart is relatively larger than all animals hearts in comparison to other organs. It takes about 2.5% of its body weight!
10. Hummingbirds migrate alone. Not in flocks.
Love Hummingbirds? Checkout some of our Hummingbird products:
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.